Comment on page
Working with EMP packages
- Note This feature, when enabled, causes the printer driver host for 32-bit applications (
SPLWOW64.exe) to fail, and must be excluded if the packaged application launches it.
- Note Apply the Microsoft server naming conventions described at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/identity/naming-conventions-for-computer-domain-site-ou. These are the only naming conventions supported.
- Important You must use the Package Editor to update an EMP package on the same architecture on which the original package was created. For example, if the package was created on an x86 machine, then the Editor must update the package on an x86 machine.
- Important If you attempt to use the
/deploydirswitch when a package has already been deployed, a
Failed to deploy' exit code -1error will be returned. The
/updateswitch must be used to update the package to the latest version, or the
/uninstallswitch must be used to remove the package first.
- Note The
/updateswitch preserves any values that appear in the registry that are not specified in the source file. If the file type associations source file (
FileAssociations.xml) in the new package is different from the one in the currently deployed package,
/updatedeletes the registry values that do not appear in
FileAssociations.xmland updates values and types that have changed.
- Note If you run this command from the deployed location, the uninstall will be incomplete. Verify that the package is uninstalled from the correct source path.
LocalAppDataresolves to a special location for the
- Note The
COMVirtualizationfeature is not required if the application uses in-process COM objects. Applications that use in-process COM objects behave as expected without enabling the feature.
- Important The virtualization and redirection engine of the package will detach from the parent process once virtualization is complete. Any child processes will not be virtualized, and the detached process will not benefit from
HandleInvalidHandle, even if these features are enabled.